Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pink Flamingos

Several years ago a friend said she never knew what to get me, that I had everything. I told her I wanted a pair of pink flamingos, the good old plastic kind. She thought I was kidding but I assured her I wasn't. She exclaimed, "But they are so tacky!" and I said, "Exactly. But they are a classic and I do love the classics!" Thus issued a hunt for the eclectic hot pink birds. At the time the "original" plastics were not to be found but she did locate a pair of plaster ones. They were placed lovingly by the pond but the raccoons were not fond of them. They knocked them over every night and eventually just dragged them off. True story. Now I do have a pair of the plastics that my friend Sherry got me--Albert and Eliza. I did not put them by the pond--no need to irritate the raccoons again--no, they live in the vegetable garden. [Since they are vegetarians. No fish or frogs for them. Again--true story.] And now there's Madeline. Brought to me by my friend, Debbie. I don't think the raccoons will drag her off. She's got a little height and weight going on. So now for the moment you've been waiting for........the flamingo poem!

Pink Flamingo

I'm a pink flamingo
and I'm here to plead my case
that one can own a pink flamingo
and Still be a person of culture and good taste!

Oh, I admit I've fallen by the wayside
Garages, attics, and such--
But let me tell you the flamingo
Even Elvis the King can't touch!

White go-go boots, leisure suits
These fads have gone up in smoke
But I guarantee the flamingo
Is as classic and long lasting as coke!

I have graced the lawns of royalty!
White trash, middle class, and then some!
And in my pink flamingo heart
I feel my revival will come.

Oh, I know I'm a bit eclectic--
Peptol Bismol pink and tacky as sin.
But I swear on my plastic exterior
The pink flamingo will rise again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment