Monday, May 16, 2011

The Entrance to the Vegetable Garden

















So I am finally seeing progress at making the vegetable garden "pretty". This would not be at the top of the list of worries to most people about their vegetable gardens. No, I would venture to say that getting the soil ready, worrying about what and where to plant, preparing in every way would be at the top of most lists. My worry was "making it pretty". And I'm getting there! My wonderful brothers on John's side built and painted the fence and arbor for me. I did the beds in front of it. I now have flowers complete with a little sitting area where I can sit with my wussy rascal coffee [coffee with milk And mocha flavored Splendor--no cowboy coffee for me!] and plan the next addition of the garden to my heart's content. The vegetables will be fine. Really. If you plant them they will grow, that's my motto. The flowers--ahhh, that's where the planning comes in! You want some for their color, some for their scent, and some just because you want them! Vegetables are a bit simpler. Grow the ones you like to eat. If they smell good or bad it doesn't matter if they taste good to you. Are they pretty? Doesn't matter. If you don't like to eat it you won't grow it! So now that we have our priorities straight we can go on. The next addition will be the lilies and iris lining the sides. But that will take another year or so. No matter. I have patience and perseverance and the anticipation is half the fun!








No comments:

Post a Comment