Monday, May 16, 2011

Generations of Larkspur

My grandmother grew larkspur. She grew a little of everything but larkspur was one of her favorites and I remember walking in it as a child and thinking it was so beautiful. Mother continued to grow it from seed she originally collected from her mother's garden. Now I do the same. And every year I collect the seed [that originally came from Grandmother] and resow it in the fall. Larkspur is an annual that behaves as a perennial, it reseeds itself, so even if I didn't throw seed out it would come up wherever the wind took it. I just like some to come up in designated spots. Plus I like the gathering. It's an inherited thing. When I look at this picture do I see the larkspur blooming by the herb garden? No. I see it in Granny's back yard. And one of these days when Megan and Sarah grow it I hope they will see it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment