Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Old Poor Farm

This farm is indeed the old county poor farm. Daddy purchased it from the County because it joined Granddaddy's property and made the farm bigger. It had been a work farm where the indigents came to live and work until they got back on their feet again. Many probably lived out their lives here. After all they didn't have all the "government help" that is now available. Supposedly there are more than 2,000 unmarked graves on the property but I have never seen evidence of them. There is an old family cemetery in one of the wooded areas with a few old gravestones left. It's a serene little spot with a pond next to it that we call "Hidden Pond". The stones date back into the 1800's. Do I think the property is "haunted"? No. Do I think that there may a few kind spirits lingering? Maybe. This property has always had a positive, uplifting feeling to me. [And we all know that positive breeds positive, negative breeds negative.] Customers that came on a regular basis to the shop always said as soon as they started down the lane they felt a welcoming sense, a warmth so to speak. Even newcomers would comment on the serenity, the "aura". I loved that. I remember as a child several of the little houses still existing and I use the term "house" loosely. By that time they were the skeletal remains of the originals. We had our clubhouse in one of them that still had a couple of rooms intact. We had an old quart jar on the beamed window sill we collected our dues in, I think we had about fifteen cents in it. I don't actually remember tearing any of them down, I think they just finally decomposed and became part of the earth. So yes, this farm does have some history and romance about it. [and I do so love romance!] And though I said that I don't think of it as "haunted" I did say that a few sweet spirits might still linger. Who knows? We did have a few incidences that were "unexplained" in the room of the shop we called "the parlor". More on that later--for now I must go and dump the ice out of the foster dogs buckets, get them water, and warm them up with some heated chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment