Saturday, January 8, 2011

It is a cold, bleak January day. The gas logs are blazing and candles are sending off sweet aromas and I am being seduced. Yep, seduced by the first seed catalogs to arrive this year in the mail. Besides being a floral designer and a rescuer of dogs, I am a gardener. I love it, I crave it, I revel in playing in the dirt. Flowers, vegetables, fruits, you name it I want to grow it. It's a sickness, it is, an addiction but so be it! And the names that the seed and nursery people come up with to entice you---Sugar Pearls apricot. Ruby Red chard. Envy carrots.Bodacious [yes, Bodacious!] corn. So can you understand? I'm putty in their hands! I hate to shell peas, I hate to pick green beans, but the urge to plant them I just can Not resist! So this hot-house flower has spent most of the day piled up on the couch with Coco and Truffles and 8 [yes, 8!!] seed and plant catalogs putting little black check marks next to all manner of luscious descriptions. Last year I tried my hand at canning--successful for the most part. We have been enjoying the results of my efforts over the winter. One of the favorites as been Sweet Pepper Relish, my mother's recipe. I've always thought the only reason to eat black-eyed peas or greens was to have her relish on top of it. It's also delicious on barbecue or paninis. Here it is and it's so easy:

1 doz. small onions, chopped
1 doz. red and green sweet bell peppers, chopped
1 Tbsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 pt. vinegar
1 pt. water
extra boiling water
Cover chopped onions and peppers with boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
Mix vinegar, salt, sugar, and water; bring to boil for about 5 minutes. Add peppers and onions. Pour in hot sterilized jars and seal.

Try it. You will feel so smart and those little jars are just so darned cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment