Thursday, March 10, 2011

An Advocate of Wildlife

This little woodland creature is eating black oil birdseed on the ledge built right outside my kitchen window. He often has visitors--chipmunks and a plethora of birds. It's about time for the goldfinches to arrive, the cardinals have been prevalent all winter and of course wrens, sparrows, and snowbirds. I see many other varieties from this window however all do not sit on the shelf. The bluebirds don't nor the cedar waxwings. Some are just not as social as others! I, myself, am a wildlife advocate. Don't speak to me of hunting, don't brag to me, don't ask me to hunt on this property. You get your trophy, I get mine. Your "you knows" will be hanging over my door. I am closed minded about it and want to have no part of it. I will keep this property a sanctuary for doves, squirrels, and deer. I won't even keep a cat for fear of it getting my birds and chipmunks. I will find them a home but they can't live here, I can't deal with their predatory ways. It's just the way I am. At this point in life I don't see me changing! I even had speed bumps put on my road so my chipmunks wouldn't get hit! You may think me silly but you know what? I don't care. My mother always said that I marched to the beat of a different drummer like Thoreau and he was and is one of my favorite writers.

1 comment:

  1. And yes, she is totally serious about the "you knows."

    ReplyDelete