Friday, December 31, 2010

Meeting my hero

I went to the meeting with anticipation and trepidation. I knew I wanted to do whatever it entailed but I knew a lot of it would not be pleasant. and then I met Sarah. Sarah Sullivan, the founder of C.A.R.E. I liked her a lot. Here she was this pretty young woman that had taken Covington by storm and was bound and determined to save every dog she could that had been taken prisoner to the Covington City Pound. Focused and gutsy she would stop at nothing to rescue. She needed help and by golly I was going to do the best I could. I started out by fostering. My only request was that I could name the dogs I got. This has since become a rule of thumb. Whoever fosters the dog first gets to name it. I personally believe you build a better bond that way. I started out with Romeo and Jelly Bean. They had been deserted and left in a locked apartment. This was the end of March in 2008. Now less than two years later with 72 foster dogs of my own and 301 rescues under our belts C.A.R.E. is still going strong. There have been a lot of changes but for the most part we still have our original core group, Sarah is still our Director, and we still love rescue. Well, we love the dogs. Rescue is hard, heartbreaking, and brutal. But rescue is also heartwarming, gratifying, and filled with licks and wagging tails.

1 comment: