Monday, April 23, 2012

Asparagus Rules!

In my family asparagus rules! We all love it. If you popped me open at the moment I would be green. I picked this asparagus March 15th. so there's been more than a month already of the most succulent green stalks you could ask for. Mother had an asparagus bed for years and years. I probably would still have it but that part of the yard has changed, a fence has been added, all sorts of things. I remember she was particularly proud of it as not many around these parts planted asparagus. It has a reputation of being difficult--taking a long time to produce, finicky about it's soil, it has to be kept clean of weeds. Well, that's all true to a point but it doesn't take years to produce if you purchase 2-3 yr.old roots at the beginning. And if you prepare the soil it's easy to weed and add your coffee grounds and egg shells and other yummy composts and it will thrive. I have had plenty to share this year and that's always fun. And although more people grow it now I too am extremely proud of my asparagus bed. Beds. All three of them! [Remember--too much is never enough!]

No comments:

Post a Comment