Thursday, April 7, 2011

A lot can happen in a week, a day, a moment.

My dear mother has fallen and broken her hip--the dreaded broken hip. I so hate it. But as usual she is her cheerful, loving, sweet self. She had partial hip replacement and my fear was that the anesthesia and pain medications would work on her little mind....that she would go through surgery fine but wouldn't know me afterwards. We all decided ahead of time that it was all about her, that it didn't matter if she didn't know us as long as she wasn't in pain or confused and scared. That sounds great in theory but this was my mother. My taproot. My best of the best. I was scared to death. She went through surgery with flying colors, groggy of course and in and out of it until about midnight. She woke up and looked around. I was there at her side holding her hand. She looked at me and I said, "Hey, Momma. Do you know me?" And she said, "Well, yeah. Why wouldn't I?" Oh, the relief. The prayers of thanks. I cry now thinking about it. And so far so good. She is now at a nursing home here that has an excellent rehab. program. I go several times a day and encourage her eating [sometimes she says, " You eat it!"] and our family visits constantly. Now the new fear is that she won't remember she can't walk and will try to get out of bed or her wheelchair and break the other hip. That happened with my father-in-law. But we are very optimistic and the physical therapists think she is doing very well. And such is life. A lot can happen in a matter of seconds so relish every second of life you can. Mother broke her hip. She didn't break her spirit. She didn't break her smile or her sense of humor or her ability to love. I am and will always be totally in awe of her.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in awe of her too. I wish she could live forever because I don't know if we will ever be able to put into words how precious she is.

    ReplyDelete