Sunday, April 17, 2011

Garden Pregnancies


The peonies and the iris are all pregnant. Any day now they will go into labor and burst into bloom. I always heard that the peony was the "queen of the garden" and I would agree except that they are rivaled by the totally different almost orchid-like iris. Both are breathtaking in their own right. It amazes me that we inherit so many of our traits even later in life. Aunt Lina loved iris and lilies. Me, not so much. I wanted roses and peonies. Then. Now I am so glad that she prevailed upon me to dig

with her and carefully divide the rhizomes and roots so that now I have the past tried and true and the new hybrids. In fact, I just received a box of lily roots in the mail yesterday and will unpack it and play in the dirt today. Mother always had vegetables and flowers intermingled and I inherited that as well. When I got the new plot worked up for the vegetable garden a couple of years ago I lamented that it wasn't pretty. It's getting there. In my mind I see it two to three years from now, composted, rich and almost weedless [It could happen!] and lush with flora. Maybe borders of lilies and iris. Another peony bed. [I've run out of room in the back, at least room that has enough sun.] Sam and Dan [brothers I inherited on John's side] built a lovely entry way--a white picket fence with an arbor--so I have a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment