Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mittie's and Jessie's Daffodils

Mittie and Jessie lived up the road in a tiny little white frame house. They fished in the pond every day of the summer months, worked their vegetable garden, and sat on their porch with fans in the late afternoons. They smiled and waved at me every day as I walked home from the bus and always let me pick jonquils for Mother. Their little house is long gone now and so are the jonquils but before it was torn down I spent days digging up Mittie's and Jessie's daffodils. I now have them planted all the way down the road on both sides. They are the small early daffodils, some might call them "the common daffodil" but they are dear to me. I have been collecting and planting jonquils for several years now and have thousands of many different varieties, all colors, shapes, and sizes. Still I love the little early bloomers that I remember as a child blooming their heads off and filling up that little postage stamp yard. When I knew the house was going to be torn down I decided I would dig as many as I could and line the road
with them as a legacy to Mittie and Jessie. They are coming up now and these were the very first to open.


No comments:

Post a Comment