Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Family Tradition

When we were children and hung our stockings by the fireplace we didn't use fancy "store bought" stockings. We used socks. We didn't have too, we could afford to buy the stiff, decorative stockings with sequins and embroidery. But Mother and Daddy were more creative than that, they loved the quirkiness of the unusual, the silliness of the whimsical. So we used socks, all kinds of socks although the stretchier the better! We had quite a collection and I remember arguing with my brother on which stocking we got to hang! I also remember friends thinking we were a little odd, that our socks weren't charming but a bit strange. That didn't bother us, we knew that Our stockings stretched unbelievably and could hold a multitude of nuts, candy, and surprises! Over the years I have made our sock stockings as gifts occasionally and been pleased to find that they are now thought inventive and fun. Our family thinks they are wonderful and everyone knows where their sock hangs whether from the fire screen or the hall tree. They all have a designated spot and I dare say any of us would be quite appalled and disappointed if a stocking wasn't waiting with our name on it --there Would be consequences to pay!
Our Christmases have changed over the years, I guess that happens to most everyone. Sadly my brother is not here but we added two nephews, the husbands of my nieces. Another change is that we are all older. But some things never change--and that would be the socks! They are a family tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment